Unpleasant breath doesn’t just indicate health problems but could also be one of the crucial reasons for a relationship problem.
This is why this needs to be dealt with effectively. Bad breath or halitosis is characterised by noticeably nasty odours that are exhaled when one opens their mouth. And this has a conspicuous personal and social impact on people, making it one of the most frequent reasons for seeking the help of a dental surgeon after tooth decay and other periodontal diseases. Also, there is a psychological condition termed halitophobia or delusional halitosis, for people who suffer from an irrational fear of bad breath.
Experts say that this condition is one of the most embarrassing and distressing conditions. Cosmetic dentist Dr Karishma Jaradi says, “Halitosis is caused due to various reasons. It could be physiologic, pathological, oral or extra oral. Unhygienic oral conditions can lead to severe bad breath. Gum diseases like gingivitis or periodontists are the main causes, unclean tongue is another cause, oral infections like abscess can lead to bad breath, deep cavities, food lodgment, faulty dental prosthesis, unclean denture etc are also causes.” Dentists state that especially with today’s lifestyle issues like working long hours, skipping regular meals, lifestyle diseases like diabetes, hiatus hernia, liver problems, etc, that lead to neglect and failure to attend dental conditions causes bad breath.
Dental surgeon Dr Ather Wani says, “Sometimes even though a person’s mouth is healthy, they could still suffer from bad breath. That can happen because of gastrointestinal problems. Also, some foods can cause bad breath like garlic and onions.” Experts advise one to avoid having garlic and onions before meetings, to stop embarrassment that stems from this. Dentists state that bad breath is usually caused by improper oral hygiene. Sometimes it is also due to hormonal changes.
Cosmetic dentist Dr Mukul Dabholkar says, “Haliotosis could be caused by bleeding gums triggered by abnormal chewing habits; vitamin deficiency, cancer and chemotherapy, drugs etc,. Another cause of this disease is dehydration.”
DID YOU KNOW?
A fruity breath could be a giveaway that the person is a diabetic
Tips to overcome Haliotosis
– Brush teeth twice a day with toothpaste. This ensures that plaque and tartar doesn’t build up on teeth, which is a major cause of halitosis.
– Use a mouthwash regularly.
– Flossing is usually neglected by many, but it is very important. A lot of microbes are present between teeth which can only be cleaned by flossing.
– Another thing that people don’t usually do is clean the tongue. Also, it keeps the gums healthy.
– Visiting a dentist every six months is important. Professional cleaning (scaling) is necessary to remove tartar from the teeth.
– Drink adequate water — at least eight to 10 glasses a day.
– Eat low calorie small meals every two to three hours.
– Avoid garlic, onions and alcohol.
– Get investigated for systemic conditions like gastritis, hiatus hernia, diabetes, liver disease, if the condition is not caused by bleeding gums and gum disease
Copyright © 2021 About Pathankot | Website by RankSmartz ()
Leave a Reply